What's Happening now in the yard.
Our Next event
We are hoping to open again in the spring of 2022 for classes again.
Be sure to scroll down and Join the mailing list. While your there check out the calendar.
Winterizing your bees
With winter approaching it is time to
Winterizing your yard.
Please contact us to ensure your space. Register Here
What was done this season.
May 5 2020 Location Muddy Meadows Grindrod BC
Notes for the Bee yard - We transferred 15 one day old larvae into 15 cups on a stick and stick of grafted cups onto an empty frame. The frame was then put in the top box above the queen excluder and clocke board so that the bees in this box thought they were queenless and therefore would draw queens from these larvae filled cups.
May 13 2020 Location Muddy Meadows Grindrod BC
Notes for the Bee yard - We grafted a second set of 1 day old larvae into 15 cups and put the stick of grafted cups onto the frame containing our first stick of grafted cells, moving the first stick down to mid frame and the new stick at the top of the frame. Keeping the newest grafts at the top of the frame will keep it warmest as the heat rises to the top of the hive
We will also repaired Knuc boxes and their lids, replacing the rotatating entrance closures with 3D printed entrance controller. Contact us if you would like the printable file.
Create mating nucs
Friday May 15 2020 Location Muddy Meadows Grindrod BC
Notes for the Bee yard - 7 of the of the 15 cups that were grafted 10 days ago developped into queen baring cells. We created 3 mating nucs from the 10 day old cells and put an extra cell into one of the 3 frame full depth nuc that were made 5 days ago from the first round of grafts. We created a 2 framed full depth nuc which already had several cells on the frame.
Prepare Anu Yard for bees.
Saturday May 25 Location Anu Collective yard.
Create Expansion nucs
May 30 2020 Location Muddy Meadows Grindrod BC
Our queens will be mated and have been laying. Our cells we grafted in the second graft will have a place to go. We will catch queens. Introduce cells and Create Sales expansion nucs to take the queens and cells if needed.
Creating 3 and 4 Nucs.v 0.01 2020/04/22
Creating 3 and 4 frame nucs are esential for expanding your operation or in a stock beekeeping opperation
- Bring empty boxs to the hive you are working.
- Seperate your hive into two or more stacks. This helps to controle the location of the queen. She must be found so she dose not get tranfred to a box. She will not survive a young queen and we don’t want to reduce the donor hive too much by making then raise a replacement. So find that queen.
- Look at each frame.
- Select a frame of bees with lots of capped brood. You will need 2 on the first round of queens. 3 for later rounds.
- Select a frame of comb and bees for the third frame on the first round brood and bees on all other rounds.
- You will need a frame of Resources for the 3rd or 4th frame.
- The last will be a feeder on the first round feed till they need laying space. Feeders don't go to a client. They ensure that the nuc builds well in the nectar iffy early spring.
- 3 frame 2 brood , then honey, then feeder, then comb
- 4 frame 3 brood, then honey,
Deliver created nucs to Anu Yard.
Wednesday June 3 2020 Location Muddy Meadows Grindrod BC
These will be our second round of sale queens.
June 6 2020Evaluate and feed Created nucs
Each week for the next few weeks we will evaluate and feed theses nucs.
June 13 2020 Catch queens and cell up
These queens are for sale Please reserve yours now.
June 26 4th Graft.
July 06 2020 Catch queens and cell up.
We will be developing Tools you can use to help you manage your bee keeping and bee breeding operations.
Details of the app.
Join Our AnuCollective Beekeeping Discussion list
Access rights to resources will vary to your membership status.
Currently we have 5 Memberships available.
- Guest. Visitors have access access to all data considered public or essential. No login required
- Beta tester. Get full access and are active in the development of the site and its usefulness to Bee Keepers. To Become a bata tester. Become a member. Earn one free month of membership for 3 contributions to the site per month. Click here to join.
- Member. These Vary much needed folks have full access to the site. They have contributed financially to help finance the site. Click here to join.
- Affiliate. Companies that support this site.
They have contributed financially to help finance the site. Click here to join.
- Hosted Site. There are two levels here. Your site will look the way you want.
PS. You can be both a Beta Tester and a Contributing Member